Young adults love Fantasy and Science Fiction. And with books like these, who can blame them? We’ve compiled a list of the ever-growing talent. We are proud of these authors for dominating in a genre that struggled with diverse voices for years.
1) J.C. Cervantes is the author of The Story Runner, The Fire Keeper, and Tortilla Sun. They are filled with the type of drama that would keep any reader turning the pages and anticipating the next book in any series.
2) Daniel José Older is the author of the YA series, The Shadowshaper Cypher, the Bone Street Rumba urban fantasy series, and the middle-grade historical fantasy Dactyl Hill Squad. He is no stranger to bestsellers.
3) Tehlor Kay Mejia is the author of We Set the Dark on Fire, We Unleash the Merciless Storm, Miss Meteor, and Paola Santiago and the River of Tears. From the beginning, this author has been viewed as a star.
4) Ryan Calejo is the author of the Charlie Hernandez series, Charlie Hernandez and the League of Shadows, and Charlie Hernandez the Castle of Bones. The best part is that with all this success and great reviews, he is just getting started.
5) Zoraida Córdova is the author of nine (yes, nine) fantasy novels for kids and teens, including the Brooklyn Brujas series, Incendiary, and Star Wars: A Crash of Fate, and The Way to Rio Luna.
6) Anna Meriano is the author of Love Sugar Magic: A Dash of Trouble, and Love Sugar Magic: A Sprinkle of Spirits. Using a dash of suspenseful plots and magical writing, she has the right recipe for any young adult reader.
7) David Bowles is the author of the Garza twin series, The Smoking Mirror, A Kingdom Beneath the Waves, and Hidden City. Combine great writing, charismatic characters, and shapeshifters and you get very entertaining books.
8) Claribel Ortega is the author Ghost Squad. We love her style and believe that she is at the beginning of what will be very successful career. We know Scholastic has faith in her and so do we.
9) Ysabel Ibañez is the author Woven in Moonlight, a book that has so many serious messages, adults would love it too. It’s a magical book recommended for any YA wanting to contemplate social conditions in our world.
10) The Sal and Gaby series is an entertaining ride for any tween. Carlos Hernandez is just getting started with these magical roller coasters. We have been a fan of his since his first book and we expect his success to continue to grow.